Friday, October 5, 2007

Painting box I made for myself



Here is a painting box I have made several people liked it and asked for me to make one for them, so I do.

This is a slightly older version, I am always tweaking it to get better results. I have put some pegs on the face of the box to give the panels or canvas extra support, It dosnt really need it those springy clamps hold it pretty tight enough, but it is handy. I also have made the try a lot deeper.

I also shellac my painting tray with bullseye spray shellac, I tape the box with painters tape first to protect parts from getting shellaced, then I give it a light coating first let it sit, it's pretty smelly stuff, then I spray it about six time after that just to build up a thick enough layer. Some spots seem to absorb shellac more than others, then I spray a couple of coats again about 24hrs later. So I use about a third of the spray can. to get that glassy layer that is ideal for painting on.

You have to be good to it though you cannot leave the paint on it over night as it will get stuck to it and well it will take a while to wear off, if it does. if you look after it it works great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.